View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 03:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Selective

Guess I have been more selective with whom I spend time with - if they cannot take into consideration my disabilities I distance myself.

You tell them the issues you have and some listen and act responsibly, others discount it because you look normal, you are normal. Dealing with people on the phone who have strong foreign accents are the worst, now I ask them to put someone else on from their company who is not a foreigner and will answer my queries concisely.

In crowded places I choose to sit in a corner facing the wall, helps with the overload.

After a while you develop ways of addressing situations using trial and error. In time you become less agitated and aggro, choosing your words wisely to suit the occasion. Coin phrases become part of your new tool box.

I have returned to seminars and before the start say to the lecturer I will be ducking in and out due to the overload on my brain. Taking that breather/quiet time is the difference between lasting the distance and not. As psychologist said, keep putting yourself in these situations, stay awhile and leave, building your tolerance and finding ways to navigate. Not always easy but pays dividends eventually.
chasann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote