View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 02:11 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
jenny,

Bone graft material does not provide new jaw bone. It is surgically placed to encourage the body to grow new bone cells which integrate with the graft material until the new bone becomes solid. However, bone grafts need to be placed "inside" of healthy bone in order for the cells to grow. If there is inadequate healthy bone and the graft is placed next to or on top of existing bone, little to no integration will occur. The graft would then be similar to a pebble sitting in the tissue that it was placed in. In those cases, the graft can be palpated or felt on the outside of the gum in the area where the roots of the extracted tooth use to be. The long term success rate of this type of graft and even the dental implant would be very low.
Thank you for your reply! What you wrote here sounds like it could be my case. The bump is near where the tooth's root would have been, its in the lower gum next to where the mouth meets the gums. I had the bump there after the extraction, prior to when the implant was placed. It is not painful but it can definitely be felt. My oral surgeon kept telling me the bone looks good (again basing it on xray). I also mentioned this to my general dentist and she said something like, sometimes this can happen with the root of a tooth is removed.

Does this mean there is a lingering infection and that this needs bump/graft to be removed, as well as the implant?
jenny8484 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote