Thread: New here...
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 04:01 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

mfurest,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. I am so sorry to hear what you and your hubby are going through. It appears he works in agriculture. Tell him thank you for helping to feed America. People do not realize that agriculture workers have a job that is twice as dangerous as a police officer's job.

It sounds like he suffered a left frontal lobe injury with the personality changes that come with that. Yes, this is the new him but it can be endured.

My first question is simple. How does he sleep? More specifically, does he breath smoothly and regularly when he sleeps? Proper sleep can be a big challenge. Without all of the full stages of sleep, fatigue will be a problem.

Second, Read the sticky at the top about Vitamins. His injured brain needs extra nutrition to handle the many stresses a weak brain has to endure. The vitamin regimen on the first post has a link to an updated later post. The most important vitamins are the B-50 Complex, plenty of B-12. They are needed to strengthen the blood brain barrier that protects the brain from the body's toxins. Omega 3 fish oil is also very beneficial. Magnesium (citrate or other non mag oxide forms)

I agree with your concern about the Neurontin and Cymbalta. I've been on Neurontin for 16 years. I only take 150 mgs to help with sleep, muscle tension, jitters, active mind. I was on an SSRI for 14 years but finally got off it. I do much better without it. You may not like his 'not depressed' personality on Cymbalta.

Before you take the big jump into powerful drugs, you could try some more natural supplements. 5-HTP will increase the serotonin and melatonin in his brain. His brain knows what to do with 5-HTP because it naturally converts it from L-Tryptophan. 100 mgs of 5-HTP morning and night could make a big difference. Some take 500 mgs but 100 mgs is a very safe start. 5-HTP should not be combined with Cymbalta. I add 200 mgs of L-Theanine. My new doctor was impressed that I found L-Theanine. Few consider it.

He could still take a lower dose of Neurontin. High dose Neurontin is known to effect memory function. I took 1200 mgs before bed for a few years then dropped to 900, 600, 300 and now just 150. My neuro was eager to get my dose lower.

Head impact like your hubby suffered often have a neck injury component. This can be a problem. It can effect sleep (poor sleep posture), breathing, blood pressure, slowed pulse, and more.

What kind of nerve pain does he have?

I have already over-dosed you so I'll save the rest for later.

Please know that we understand what you are going through. I wish we had a TBI caregivers forum, especially for wives. Their job is draining but they are often lifesavers. My wife attends a TBI caregivers support group at a local Neuro Rehab hospital. Here is a list of Michigan TBI support groups. https://www.biami.org/resources/support-groups/

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote