View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 03:01 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAce994 View Post
Maggie,

I'm sorry to hear what you have been going through. I experienced a head injury and still have residual dizziness, with similar triggers that you described. I obviously am not a doctor, so please recognize the following is not medical advice. However, it was a long road for me to find doctors who could set me up for sound treatment. Surprisingly, a lot of neurologists aren't very knowledgable about mild brain injuries. During my time, I've learned quite a bit on how to talk to doctors, and in regards to what treatment options are available.

First off, for your doctor's appointment, make sure you write down your current symptoms and any questions you may have (on paper, doctors aren't a fan of someone looking at their phone). When the doctor asks you to explain your symptoms, speak clearly and concisely. Studies show the doctor will give you about 20 seconds until he/she starts to jump to conclusions.

Dizziness can be caused by a lot of different issues: neck (cervicogenic), inner ear/vestibular nerve damage, or a mild brain injury are some of the big causes. A brain injury can affect the integration of your vision, vestibular system, as well as somatosensory system. When there is a problem with the integration of all that causes dizziness.

Here are a couple links that are worth a read for you. I know some people have posted them as well.

It turns out I can't post links yet, so Google:

"PPPD"
"Post concussion syndrome recovery blog"

If I were you I would:

Ask for an MRI
Test to rule out cervicogenic dizziness
Ask if you should see an ENT
Ask if you need a VNG (tests the functioning of your vestibular system to determine if it's your inner ear or brain causing the problems)
Ask if you would benefit from a collective effort of Occupational Therapy/Physical Therapy/Speech Therapy. These therapists could help recovery in visual, vestibular, and cognitive deficiencies.

I'd also think about taking fish oil supplements with high DHA, magnesium supplements (with food), and vitamin B complex. Also ensure you are getting a good night's sleep, 6 hours at the minimum.

Good luck with your appointment. I'll check back here for updates.
Thanks so much for all this info. Wanted to share an update since you all were so kind to respond and offer advice.

Saw a neurologist today for the first time. He looked at my CTscan imagining and there is a shaded area on the right side. Per the radiologist, probably just a shadow of bone --but if so they were surprised it wasn't symmetrical since the bone is the skull is the same shape on each side. Anyway, was will be having an MRI sometime this week. I'm assuming it's just a shadow and there will be no magic answer from this, but still it's nice to have a next step.
Magpie76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote