View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 05:35 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Evol,

I guess when you say 'infect,' you mean infection. I could not tell if it was a typo. In US usage, infect is a verb, not a noun. When a bacteria infects something, it gets an infection. Maybe just a translation error. Now I understand.

I still don't understand what you mean by 'from smart phone usage.' Making a call. Playing video games, EMF from radio waves, scrolling through various screens, watching videos.....?

You sound like you have a strong need to understand every little detail.
Here are some details.
If a 1 kg object falls from 1 meter onto a resilient surface/pillow/stack of clothes:
If the resilient surface absorbs/depresses 0.1 meters, the force is 98N or 9.8Gs.
If it is depressed 0.3 meters, the force of impact is 32N or 3.2 Gs.
If it falls from 0.5 meters and depresses the pillow 0.1 meters, the force is 49N or 4.9 Gs.
If it depresses the pillow 0.3 meters, the impact force is 16N or 1.6 Gs.
9.8N is 1 G if the object is 1 kg.

The brain endures 4 Gs just walking, even more when walking down steps.

Think of head and brain like a raw egg. If that raw egg can get dropped on a surface without breaking the shell or yolk, that is a low impact force.

You head and brain can tolerate many times more impact force than a raw egg.

Where have you learned your information about concussions? Do you research online? Have you seen a presentation, TED Talk, movie, ??

Thank you for your advice.

I am sorry, I am german born and obviously "infect" is a "false friend".

I do everyday tasks on my phone, as my PC is broken. I am aware that this has higher potential of inducing problems, but I try not to spend to much time in virtual reality anyway.

I am about to have a master in mathematics, I have a natural and a trained need to understand things. This is a sword with sharp edges on both sides.

I understand that the (de)acceleration of the head is it what does the damage. I appreciate the egg model, at least for linear accelerations. I have read that around 40G is on the lower spectrum of subconcussive hits, but the distance of deacceleration is most difficult to estimate in practice. Also rotational components need to be evaluated and difficult to estimate as I understand it.

I got informed not only out of fear but also out of interest. My sources range from medical advice over Ted talks to some medical papers. I find many dissonances. Still I find it reassuring to know. It leaves less room for imagination.
Evol is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote