View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 07:57 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Where did you read this "Say during an average work day which involves stuff like bumpy train/car rides, sudden braking, walking, occasional bumps, hugging/"other" activities, quick head movements, slap in back, etc.

Or what about with more vigorous stuff like running and jumping on a basketball court, dancing with jumping and head movement, jumping rope, working out, jumping on trampoline, diving in a pool, non contact hockey, rough housing with friends, roller coasters/bumper cars, horse back riding, etc."?

This information is TOTALLY WRONG. Those sources need to be corrected. They are reporting negligently. Remember that a lot of 'news' is designed to over-dramatize issues to draw more emotional response to gain a following. The internet is the worst source of this bologna. The reporters/writers often do not have any understanding of the concepts they are writing about.

A subconcussive impact would be heading a soccer ball, banging helmets on in a American football game or practice, banging heads playing rugby, strong body checks in hockey, head banging to music where the goal is to alter mental state, and other impacts or strong jarrings.

Sub-concussive impact means an IMPACT that did not cause concussion symptoms but did have a brief effect on brain function, even for a part of a second. Some would call them a 'dinger' as in 'I got my bell rung.'

The research on subconcussive impacts goes back a decade or more. It is based on the discovery that American football players who have never had a diagnosed concussion were developing cognitive problems. They did research by putting sensors in helmets and found that players, especially linemen and running backs suffered 800 to 1000 of the measurable impacts in a single season. Kevin M. Guskiewicz, PhD in sports medicine and Julian Bailles, MD started this work almost 20 years ago.

The movie Concussion over dramatized the issues. Dr Omalu was only a small part of the research. The well publicized suicide of NFL linebacker Junior Seau after his struggles with cognitive function thrust this issue into the public.

These examples that are reported are about people who played violent sports for a decade or more. They did not get their CTE from bumpy car rides.
Thanks once again. So you don't think anything I mentioned would be something I should worry about?

I actually never read anything suggesting they would be from an actual medical website, only from people on other forums. I've read things like "a roller coasters ride is worse for your brain then a concussion", "basketball players could get cte from constant jumping and stopping" and "kids could be getting cte from rough housing and wrestling" (which I always thought was natural behavior).

I guess I should probably stop spending so much time online researching this stuff it's just obviously very scary and it's hard to tell if I should focus on my education, getting a good job and eventually starting a family or if all that is pointless since my brain may not even work anymore in a few years. Like I don't wanna get married and have kids if I'm just gonna end up being a burden on them in the future, you know?
BenW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote