View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 11:58 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

I had read a fair amount on the Hinz protocol before employing a NJ integrative neurologist for nearly 8 months (which included 3 urine assays). The overall communication with him was not good. Although available by phone, my chart was not always (if ever) at his disposal. However, I was committed to seeing this through until I saw the words PILL STOP in a text message after 7 months of adhering to his recommendations of B6, Tyrosine, D5 Mucuna, Neuroreplete, CysReplete, etc. My RLS would have made the Pill Stop impossible anyway. He never thoroughly explained the Pill Stop to me and now I get it of course.. And this after he asked me to sign a document that he had “explained” the protocol (1st or 2nd visit). You never really fully understand it unless you go through it, and even then you need your doctor to support you.. not let you drift away in frustration after 7-8 months. In fact I had read that I should start seeing results in 6 months. I was seeing no results and began to believe no results were ever going to happen.

So, did I give up? NO, I employed another practitioner for another 6 months happy to start again from scratch. I still believed in the protocol, but after 4 months I insisted on a consult with him and Dr. Hinz. Although the new practitioner was much better to work with (meeting like clockwork), the pill stops could not be met due to RLS. We did one urine assay and the process began to be experiment after experiment with no clear pathway to achieving competitive inhibition. In fact he was a bit shocked when I mentioned the term and that it was my goal. At least the first Dr. knew and understood this.. The consult with Dr. Hinz never happened because the Dr. said that the first thing he (Dr. Hinz) would ask was how my pill stop went.. I thought that the persistent RLS preventing it was a perfectly good reason for a consult. And so it all ended again.. I manage today on C/L. I am still fascinated and may even still believe in the Amino acid/Hinz protocol. I even called practitioner #3, but decided to wait after my first two experiences that took an overall 14 months of investment and stress. It was all my choice though, and I am a better PD warrior for it.

Dr. Hinz, if you are out there, I seek only for others to learn from my experience. I would also like an answer to the question of what you do if pill stops cannot be attained due to RLS preventing sleep.

Thanks so much for your work.

AB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Tryguy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
moondaughter (08-15-2018)