View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 04:59 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

The twitching is not epilepsy. I had it bad in the beginning. My doctor first treated it with clonazepam (a benzo) before bed. It made me sleepy the next day. He switched me to gabapentin and it worked great.

I never got a full explanation from my neuro but the gist is that it is just a benign event that is sort of a nerve restlessness as the motor nerves and proprioception nerves let go as one transitions from awake to sleep.

For me, there appeared to be a neck inflammation component. Once I learned how to mitigate my upper neck inflammation, the twitching all but ended. I get it on rare occasions now but they are few and far between. I still take 300 mgs of gabapentin before bed because my nervous system seems to want to stay on alert status if I don't.

Some of my sleep disturbance issues are due to sleep apnea. I can stop breathing properly even when I am awake.

I have had many different seizure like symptoms since my bad concussion at 10 years old in 1965. Every neuro told me these were not epilepsy. At most, they were a trauma related intermittent seizure disorder.

A hypnagogic jerk is an involuntary muscle spasm that occurs as a person is drifting off to sleep. The phenomenon is so named in reference to the hypnagogic state — the transitional period between wakefulness and sleep. Hypnagogic jerks, are also commonly known as hypnic jerks or sleep starts.

Hypnic Jerks - The Reason Why We Twitch Before Falling Asleep

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote