Thread: Choking
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 10:44 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Annie,

Thanks so much for your reply! No, I don't normally do a lot of talking or socializing. But things have been more busy than usual with a lot of medical appointments, treatments, and things, and I think I am more tired because of it. I think I may also still be recovering from two minor surgeries I had about a month ago, although I am making progress.

Yes, I have a BiPAP/AVAPS machine, and it really helps me! I use it at night, and sometimes during the day if I am having trouble breathing. It has made a big difference to me. I'm sure it has reduced my need for hospitalization.

Using a cold washcloth on the neck sounds like a good idea. I will try that. I have a neck support I can try also, to see if it helps.

For me, I was told not to use a straw while drinking, although I'm sure other people may get different recommendations. Like you, I am a very slow eater, but that is okay with me. Safety is more important than speed! Sometimes tucking my chin while swallowing helps me, but I confess...sometimes I forget and I have to go back and review all the tactics when my problems worsen again. I have a feeding tube and my doctors would prefer I use it exclusively, but to be honest, it is not always easy to live life that way. And even if I do use it, that still doesn't resolve the problem of choking on one's own saliva! That is a very awkward situation.

Anyway, thanks for your response, and the good suggestions. I really appreciate them. I'm sorry you deal with this, too, and I send good wishes your way, Annie. I send hugs if okay.

Take care,
Erin

Last edited by ErinBear; 02-23-2018 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo
ErinBear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (03-03-2018), pingpongman (02-23-2018)