View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 01:13 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

There are better ways, but a certain drug company has a patent on it.

If you mean rotigotine transdermal, that's a different creature. Similar to Mirapex, it makes the receptors on other types of neurons more receptive to levodopa administered however and whatever dopamine you have.

It's plugging the drain and turning up the faucet, so to speak.

Problem is, the receptor expression changes. If I stop talking to you, you will stop listening. A feedback loop is broken, and autoreceptors (listening to yourself speak is a good analogy) diminish also.

If you're deaf -- receptor expression is diminished, it doesn't matter how much dopamine I shove into your brain, or how loud I yell, you won't hear it. The nerve cells that produce dopamine must hear themselves also.

There's more to it than just dopamine, because that stops a chain reaction. Those nerve cells that respond to dopamine FIRE, and down the chain you go. Bust one link in the chain, and the Christmas lights go out (they're wired in series).

Brain tries to compensate, which causes changes they don't even know about.

Probably dose -- patches are slow. An IR med and then a patch, but patches really suck. Shire is good at extended smooth delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudest_mama View Post
Okay, I'll check the paperwork to determine strength, etc.

My next question is whether the patch is for carbidopa/levodopa or if it helps distribute Mirapex.

Do you have any idea?
BlueDahliasBrother is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote