View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 08:00 AM
Grand Magnate

8 yr Member
Grand Magnate

8 yr Member

SecondChances, I think that Wide-O has offered you some great ideas.

Adding to them:

I know some of the people in the Sydney University GI project mentioned in the link. While their work is generally sound the subjects that they use to measure GI values are non-obese Uni students in their late teens/early 20s. The GI values that they get from them may not be typical of other people. I tried, with limited success, to discuss this and other aspects of the project with them.

There is an increasing consensus that Type 2 diabetes (with its associated PN risk) is a metabolic disease.

What that means is that there is a rapid release of insulin whenever somebody drinks a sugar-rich soft drink and also when somebody eats high GI foods like white bread or rice.

These insulin spikes can lead to what is called insulin resistance which, through some complicated mechanisms, can cause destruction of the beta-cells in the pancreas (they produce insulin).

In summary, as Wide-O wrote, it is probable that eating in a healthy way (minimal intake of sugar-rich drinks and high GI foods) can reverse pre-diabetes, preventing it from progression to Type 2 diabetes, without pharmaceutical intervention.
SecondChances (02-25-2018), Wide-O (02-26-2018)