View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 08:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default fluoroquinolone eye drops?

I had eye surgery 5 days ago, and so have been on Besivance eye drops for 8 days. Supposed to stay on it for at least 2 more weeks. Besivance is the trade name for besifloxacin, a fluoroquinolone.

I am on pyridostigmine, mestinon. Normally works pretty well. But the last week, not as good as usual.

Not seeing or reading very well at the moment, understandably. But aren't fluroquinolones one of the 'don't do it' drugs for MG? Even tho these are eye drops, the drug does go systemic, a little bit. Enough that they make note of it doing so. Many eye drops do.

Also wondering, if it is something that could be working against me, if that might be why that eye's pupil is remaining noticeably more dilated than the other eye (which is normal) and not reacting to light as well (tho it does, just more weakly). Really nothing in the surgery that was done that should have caused that, they use massive amounts of dilating drops so the doc hasn't been worried yet, says some people just take longer, and give it another day, but it's now been 5 and it seems to have stalled at twice the size of the normal eye.

So, could Besivance, besifloxacin, a fluoroquinolone, be affecting how well the mestinon works and maybe how well the pupil of that eye works?
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (03-03-2018)