View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 02:38 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

You do need to notify SS and your attorney once you return to work, but you should NOT drop your case. You may be unsuccessful returning to work and until you test your ability, you won't know. Having an Unsuccessful Work Attempt (UWA) can actually help in some cases.

If you've been out of work for at least one year, you can also request a Closed Period Award for the period you were unable to work.

Jomar is referring to Significant Gainful Activity. The SGA level for 2018 is $1180 but if you are able to make near the top range of that, you're unlikely to be approved unless you meet a Listing.

Attorneys are only paid from backpay, so don't worry about fees. I don't remember if they can bill you for incidentals like copies out of pocket in this scenario, but it would be minimal.

You might consider contacting your local Voc Rehab Center. They may or may not have a waiting list and or available funds, but they may offer help retraining and provide funds while you do so. They may test your functional abilities by sending you to their own doctor's. If they determine you can't work, this can be evidence in your SS case.

Did your attorney ever address why you didn't meet your Listing???

Has your health actually improved? If you can work, you should, but if your lung function is still seriously compromised, you seem unlikely to be able to and from a recentish post I thought it was not going to improve? --You might be able to work from home, so you could consider a telecommuting or online job.

I've had CRPS a long time, so I understand what your husband is dealing with. In my experience, WC docs have often often been clueless about the disorder while claiming expertise. Don't sacrifice your own health in order to save your finances. If you're not both in therapy, I highly recommend it, you're being hit with multiple serious life stressors all at once. (Look up Low Dose Naltrexone for him if you haven't already.)
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alice P (02-25-2018), Lash (10-14-2019), Shellback (04-19-2018)