View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 10:06 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
smutsik,

From what I have read about DTI is it just shows an increase in fluid flow compared to the normal. The science has not yet defined why that increased flow exists other than to observe that is coincides with an injury and/or anxiety/depression. Whether it is axon related, myelin related, inflammation, edema, or ischemia, nobody appear to know yet. Damaged myelin is as problematic as damaged axons. Axons have greater healing potential than myelin. Folic acid, B-12 and such help with myelin healing. The other issues disrupt normal function.

If you want to fry your brain trying to understand DTI, here is a good article.
Diffusion Tensor Imaging of the Brain
Increased fluid flow in the area where it looks like there is a lesion? I seem to have my facts backwards, this sounds really interesting.

Axons having greater healing potential than myelin? Cool, I'd love to read more about this. Is it covered in the article you linked? I haven't read much about continual myelinization at all (at least regarding the concept as a part of rehabilitation), just some vague points about what kind of fats are beneficial for the process in general. Are myelin sheaths thought to be damaged in traumatic brain injury?

Thanks for the article, I'll look into it tomorrow.

Slowly returning to the life I had before.
smutsik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote