View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 11:51 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide-O View Post

I would still advise (I'm stubborn too ) to read up on this. There is a direct link between diabetes and PN, and you can't "fix" PN if you are still in pre-diabetic territory.

Metformin-induced vitamin B12 deficiency presenting as a peripheral neuropathy. - PubMed - NCBI

Maybe MrsD. can chime in, but medication like Metformin can actually make your PN worse. I'm not a doctor, but I have often discussed this with my GP.
Wide-O, thanks for the input. My diet was few if any sweets and only allowed myself a teaspoon of sugar in my morning coffee. I like my fresh fruits but even cut back and I stopped drinking my fruit juices. I love my pasta but gave that up as well as potatoes and white bread and rice. The weight loss was a real issue so now I am doing everything in moderation. I have cut back on my carbs but won't deprive myself either.

I was aware that Metformin can deplete the body of B-12 and called this to my doctor's attention. She was unaware of that fact but said we could periodically test the B-12 levels. Currently they are good. After careful consideration I believe this to be the best path going forward.
SecondChances is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PamelaJune (02-27-2018), Wide-O (03-03-2018)