View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 02:11 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

I cannot thank everyone enough for all the thoughtful and helpful replies. Thank you so much! I have printed them off and spent time off and on reading them and re-reading them.

Ben- Thank you so much for your insight...this is so hard for me to think about relaxing and just letting the brain heal, as I've never relaxed my entire life- It's just not something we did or do....it's a complete lifestyle change, but I am going to work on learning how to relax.

Jo-Mar- Thank you for your insight. My cognitive therapist said for me to stop when I notice symptoms....I've just started doing that, but it's so hard as my personality is to push through. Thanks for the CSF leak link- I will check that out!

Mark- Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a comprehensive reply!! I see why you are so highly respected and valued on this board. It sounds like our histories have a lot in common. I will look into the methylcobalamin B-12 and try to get some ordered. I forgot to mention I also take Magnesium Citrate before bed ...it's called "Calm". The Curcumin is by Bio Schwartz, it has 1350 mg of Tumeric (Curcumma Longa root), 150 mg of Tumeric Extract (95% standardized curcuminoids) and 10 mg Black Pepper fruit extract (bioperine). Is that a good one or is there a better one I could order?

I will look into some anti-inflammatory diets. The hardest part about Keto for me is the fruit, as I've always been a big variety of fruit eater. I only eat Meat, fruits, and vegetables.

For my neck, I don't know what posture discipline is. I know my neck feels best when it's positioned straight forward. I lay down a lot to alleviate symptoms, but any way that I lay hurts my neck more. I have a soft, flat, down, feather pillow and the best way I've found is to "mold" the feathers to stabilize my neck. I have to do this whether I am on my back or my side. I have never been a back sleeper before, but my neck feels best when I"m on my back. My chiropractor is very gentle .....more like an osteopath and just barely pushes. The physical therapist, however, got a little aggressive one day a couple weeks ago and the neck pain was unbearable for 4 days. Once I told him about it, he said he wouldn't manually stretch it sideways and up like that any more. When he stretches it straight I'm okay and then a gentle massage I'm okay. I have to wear sunglasses and ear plugs in their office- I have to go to a quiet dark room when I get there and my therapy takes place in the quiet dark room. Even that, overstimulates me.

I have never heard of presbyopia, so I looked it up....I have never had vision problems and have never warn glasses. All vision tests have been 20/20 my whole life until now.

I have never heard of a behavioral optometrist. I will see if my PCP will refer me to one.

As for sleep- I've been an excellent sleeper my whole life....and despite our active lifestyle I've always gotten 8-9 hours of solid sleep and have always had vivid dreams that I remember every single detail when I wake up. After this head impact, my sleeping would be- sleep 4 hours wake up 2 hours sleep 2 hours...then I went to being able to sleep one additional hour....then I went to 5 hours without waking...now I'm up to the 7 hours without waking most nights. Some nights I still wake up at 2am and am awake for an hour or so. For the first month and a half, I had no dreams...or at least didn't remember them- which was the first time in my life to experience that (I can still recall many childhood dreams even). When I finally started dreaming, it was only about going back to work...I'd sneak into the office so no one would see me, I'd crawl, I'd get there in the middle of the night, I'd walk to the office, ride bikes, steal vehicles to get there. Now- I have a few more mellow dreams- nothing stressful at all, but I still dream about going back to work at least once a night (one dream I even drilled a hole in the side of the office and stole my co-workers).

I will look into the 5-HTP, it sounds worth trying and might even settle me a bit.

Part of the problem is that I live in a tiny, tiny town in the middle of no-where....closest neurologist is a 4 hour drive, closest neuro-opthamologist and neuropsychologist is an 8 hour drive. I'm sure the behavioral optometrist is 4-8 hours away as well. These drives have about killed me. I don't drive, but just being a passenger has been overly demanding on my senses. Your reply to Tom on multi-tasking and constant overstimulation is my former life in a nutshell. Won awards at work for my multitasking ability...literately an activity every night and weekend beyond work. Never thought about how it was actually affecting me. On belief I personally have is that God has a plan for me...maybe his plan is to slow my butt down a bit! Mindfulness and Meditation are both things my cognitive therapist is teaching me about and having me practice daily. A whole new experience. One thing I forgot to mention and am not sure if it matters, is I have an auto-immune disease Hashimotos that has caused Hypothyroidism for which I take Compounded Thyroid medication daily. Again- thank you so much for your insightful and comprehensive reply Mark!

Tom- Thank you for your reply. Yes- it's like my brain just can't process everything, goes on overload, and shuts down. I have several lesions on my left side and one larger one on my right side. The doctors have told me it's nothing to worry about, so I don't.

Smutsik- Thank you for your reply. It's SO GREAT to hear that your symptoms rarely bother you 11 months out and that you have been able to resume your life! I can't wait for that day!! You are right about holding myself to perfection and being so overly-active and demanding of myself....that is...was...so me! Maybe it's good that I'm learning a new way...learning to chill out.

You are all so helpful! Thank you!
LettingMyLightShine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
TomAce994 (02-26-2018)