View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 02:31 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurest View Post
I'd love to hear other's experiences with all of this.
Hi. I'm new to the forum and haven't ever really talked to anyone about my TBI experiences. It's definitely been a long road.

I got my TBI when I was a teenager, and was unconscious for quite a while and then developed chronic migraine and depression after. I spent a night in the clinic and got my face closed up and they woke me up every half an hour, but after that I went back to schoolwork and sports the next week, which we now know isn't what you are supposed to do. Unfortunately, I'm pretty stubborn and love to be active, so through sports, I managed to sustain 3 more concussions before I stopped being so active. If I could say one thing to people who have gotten a TBI or a serious concussion it would be to take the advice of their health care providers seriously and take the time off after the first brain trauma and also protect their heads and stop getting more concussions in the future. I didn't get another TBI, but I definitely messed my head up.

I have been pretty religious about trying to stay in shape, exercise, eat well, and do what I can. That said, since the TBI I have suffered from depression, low mood, and chronic migraines. The migraines most often center around where my TBI was. I am on preventive therapy for them with topiramate and emergency therapy with some mild pain medication and triptans when needed, but due to work I rarely can take the latter ones. I try to stay hydrated and exercise. For sleep I tried sleep meds for a while but they messed me up so now I use melatonin instant dissolve tabs every once in a while.

I have a hard time focusing and sleeping, and can be a bit moody. I am an ENTP (myers-briggs) which means that with that personality type I am a direct and un-emotional person anyhow, but I think that the TBI may have worsened some aspects of my personality. It is hard to say - I definitely am not risk-averse and am pretty direct and emotionally blunted.

In terms of meds, I would say be completely candid with your husband's doctor, and don't be afraid to "start low and go slow" especially with mental health and sleep medications. Often prescribers push straight to higher doses when lower ones would work with less side-effects. Also, don't be afraid to push for medication changes if some meds don't work well or have bad side-effects. There are lots of options out there.

I have started neurofeedback and TENS therapies which are interesting. I felt especially from TENS immediate changes, but not permanent. I need to go back as I didn't finish the treatment.

It is frustrating I think to not function at my highest level. It is also strange because when I have migraines I can't think or function, so I am on the topirimate, but as a side-effect it causes cloudy thinking, so I'm not at my mental best. But of course without it I'm not at my mental best. With the TBI I'm not at my mental best, but would it be better without the topirimate? I went off it for a while but the headaches were almost debilitating. Hard to know. People tell me I'm smart but I feel like I am a pretty muted version of the self I would be without the TBI. Not that I can rewind though.

Anyhow, sorry for the long post. Nice to meet you all.
Senah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote