View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 12:45 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

it seems that a lot of advanced pd'ers who can't qualify for DBS, don't want it or can't pay for it are taking stalevo and a long lasting agonist like requip-xr and amantadine if you need it. the new controlled release carbidopa/l-dopa rytary might be able to be taken alone without an agonist, some people can't tolerate agonists and it can have too many side affects such as hallucinations, OCD as you get older.

i was diagnosed 15 years ago, was on regular C/L and CR from 2004 to present, minor hardly noticeable dysk. , just adding regular mirapex which has been a struggle but had to add something that lasted longer. Qualified for DBS, postponed it due to insurance uncertainty with TRUMP as president. took brand name mirapex from 2003 to 2004, no generic back then, had no serious problems but switched to C/L. There are a lot of new options now or soon to be released and expensive, once a day amantadine, sublingual apomorphine which has fewer side affects than injectable, inhaled l-dopa, l-dopa patch pump, 1 a day entacapone.

keep in mind, if you think the "cure" will be here in 5 years, take what gives you the best quality of life, which is why i switched to C/L from mirapex, back then, there was a lot of excitement and high expectations that stem cells, fetal transplants were the cure. then george bush became president .....
i remember a dr. levesque testifying before congress, he had treated i patient, i think his name was dennis turner, with his own stem cells and "cured" his pd on 1 side. unfortunately that treatment went nowhere and we all know now how strong the placebo affect can be.

in those days there was many more active posters on this board and "cure" research was discussed probably more than any other topic, noone thought it would still not exist 12 years later.
Beneficiary of Adult Stem Cell Treatment for Parkinson's Disease: Safaris and Swimming with Sharks
Levesque at Cedar Sinai: Parkinson's Breakthrough
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anagirl (03-01-2018), aquario (02-27-2018), Bogusia (02-28-2018), jeffreyn (02-28-2018), johnt (02-28-2018), lab rat (02-28-2018), made it up (02-27-2018), olsen (03-03-2018), Tupelo3 (03-06-2018)