Thread: The Gentle Barn
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 08:33 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Default The Gentle Barn

I learned of this organization through Facebook. They have a facility in CA, MO and TN. The Knoxville, TN facility is not too far from where I live.

Here is the website address

They also have a book out written by the founder Ellie Laks.
She and her husband run all three locations and they have just gone back to CA after being in TN for about a month.

This organization is wonderful. I have been following them for a while now and it's just miraculous to watch some of the animals interact with each other and with Ellie and the staff.

I watched the intake of a young cow (Captain) a couple of weeks ago. He had been rescued from a kill pen at a slaughter house. He was dirty, thin and understandably terrified. If you've never seen a kill pen or a slaughter house you are not missing anything. It's just so troubling that these innocent animals have to endure such torture.

Captain was brought into his own roomy stall at the Knoxville location. Ellie greeted him and talked to him to calm him down. He was amazingly calm after he got settled in his stall. Ellie has a way of speaking to these animals that is calming and reassuring. Captain is one year old so technically he is still baby.

If you have some time read their Facebook page and learn about all the animals they've saved. Every one of them have a name. And a story. Some are heart wrenching but they are safe now. The cows are my favorite.

Ellie has convinced me that I can live without meat and dairy. It's been a struggle at times but all I have to do is look at one of the animals at The Gentle Barn and whatever struggle I have with the diet is worth it. Her husband says if he can convert then anyone can!

Have fun reading about all the sweet residents of The Gentle Barn.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by Kitty; 02-27-2018 at 08:35 PM. Reason: typo
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (04-12-2018), kiwi33 (02-28-2018)