View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 11:44 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
MrPCS,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

We used to recommend blood work as a standard. Good to get a reminder.

Testosterone is rarely an issue although hormones in women are more often a struggle after a concussion. D-3 and thyroid are part of the blood work that can be worthwhile. Testosterone should be tested 3 times to get an accurate read. One doctor did a single test and said I was low. He prescribed T cream. My face exploded like a teenage boy. A 3 test protocol was done and my T was found to be at 6 times the normal level.

D-3 is a common deficiency. We just recommend D-3 supplements without even testing blood levels, especially in the higher latitudes. Thyroid is rarely an issue but it is important because it can be easily treated if it is off. Ruling out thyroid as a cause of fatigue is important.

Low T can be treated in some by taking the hormone DHEA. It is a hormone that helps regulate the others. It is available over the counter in the US.

B-12 and magnesium levels and sometimes calcium are important. The injured brain needs to be at the high range for B-12 for many with PCS. We recommend 1000 to 2000 mcgs of methylcobalamin B-12. The rest of the Bs are important because folic acid is needed for myelin repair and to strengthen the blood brain barrier that can fail after a concussion.

The first 6 weeks are considered the normal time needed for a spontaneous recovery. 85% will recover within 6 weeks. Glad to hear he recovered within that range of time. Those that don't are likely to have a prolonged recovery. That is when PCS is diagnosed.

The rules for Newbies limits the spam artists who just want to promote a product or clinic and never post again. Tell us about your experiences and you will be able to post after the required number of posts. I don't remember what that magic number is.
Mark

Thanks for the welcome. There is no product promotion here.

I respectfully about on testosterone and the other important hormones being causitive for PCS. Please research. Hormones can be the issue in many cases of concussions. The imbalances happen immediately or slowly over time. I have seen the results of the therapy first hand as my son went through it. When he started any slight tap or reasonably fast head movement brought back his concussion symptoms. Now he is fine.

He is not the only one thats been helped. Anyone reading this please get your levels checked and google hormone imbalance caused by concussions. There are doctors treating military personnel now in the US with HRT

I will post more when I have time. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to post links.

What I have found in my research is there is a lack of understanding of the HRT area. Your Dr is typical. You must see an HRT expert and if possible one that has treated PCS patients. The forums that focus on HRT/Testosterone are full of complaints about regular doctors not understanding and approaching it wrong.
MrPCS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote