Thread: Singing
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 10:44 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Singing

I have been reading this forum for a while and learned a lot, but this is my first post here. In February 2017 I was punched in the nose by a stranger on the street, with no particular reason. The police found him recently, as it turns out that this was kind of a hobby, or at least a habit for him. Can you believe it?!!!!!

I went to the ER and everything was clear except the broken nose. They sent me home and told me I did not have any brain injury since the scanner was normal, and that I would recover in a few days!!!! But I have been having strong symptoms since then: intense headaches, brain fog, and hyperacusis. My memory is not as good as before. But this has all been gradually improving with time and I cannot complain.

I came to ask a very specific question. Before all this I was a semi-professional lyric singer. Meaning that I was singing in operas, oratorios and concert halls regularly as a soloist or a chorister. I have another job to pay the bills but this was my passion and also a source of income.

I have been trying to sing again recently. The voices of other singers and the instruments now seem very loud to me and this intensifies my headaches. I can't imagine how bad I would feel on stage with a soprano singing in my ear and a full orchestra. I feel ok when I sing softly but when I need to push it and sing louder like if I am on stage I get a very unpleasant sensation in the head and all symptoms intensify. Especially the headaches and brain fog. And they last for days or weeks.

Is singing loud dangerous? Is it causing a new concussion because of the vibrations, bone conduction of sound, etc.? Can I push through it or should I wait? Or should I accept that I am done with singing for life?
Baritone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote