View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 04:45 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I was just commenting about long term prospects and Kurtis having his heart prepared for the future possibilities. There are no guarantees either way but some who have a history of TBI with prolonged symptoms see a deterioration as they get to the middle 40s. Some never see any deterioration after their recovery.

Ben,

You would be anxious about any negative comment.

"She is currently in her late 50's. She's currently highly functional, has a PhD from a top 5 university in the world(on a full academic scholarship), pretty successful in her field but you've scared me with this 'deterioration' that you speak of." There is no meaning to these comments. Her educational accomplishments have no bearing on her future. She could develop Alzheimer's. She could cure cancer. She could have a heart attack. She could live to 100. It does not sound like she has had any prolonged struggles from her concussions so her future is full of possibilities.

You need to stop looking for things to be anxious about. Other people's struggles are theirs and specific to their injury. If I told you about all of the struggles I have had over the last 53 years, you'd probably collapse from the anxiety. I raised a family as the sole income in one of the most expensive areas in the US (Silicon Valley, Calif). I've had 6 successful businesses. I've self-built a mountain cabin. But, my doctor is amazed that I did all that with the brain damage he can see when he examines my brain function.

You have all of your possibilities ahead of you. Instead of tackling the challenges of moving ahead with your life, you are paralyzed in fear of things that may never happen and things that defy logic.

My father died from early onset dementia that started in his 40s. It took 30 years to take his life at 78. He was a rocket engineer and had to retire at 58 because of his dementia. But, he lived a full life until the last year. He snow skied, biked, fished, hunted, read, and went to the gym an hour a day. He developed work-arounds so his struggles did not get in the way of enjoying his life. He researched how to get the most out of his failing brain.

I've lived for 35 years without part of a thumb and ten years without part of a finger. I learned to do things differently. I have learned to adapt just as I have with my brain injury. We adapt and life goes on. You would do well to focus on going on with your life.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hom3mad3 (03-06-2018)