View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 06:57 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Be careful you don't get caught looking for symptoms. The stress caused when we look for symptoms and think, "Oh, that may be xyz" rather than moderating our day and moving forward can be detrimental to getting better. The issue of balance and dizziness is still important as that can cause a fall. But thinking "Do I have tinnitus?" or "Is my neck sore" vs just ignoring the tinnitus and dealing with the soreness and moving forward is an issue to consider.

I have lived with tinnitus for decades. The best way to deal with it is to learn to ignore it. It is tough at first. Sometimes, a masking sound such as music or other recognized sounds can help distract away from the ringing. Grey noise or white noise, whatever it is called is not helpful in my experience.

It is great they have a quiet room. Experiment with distraction sounds and see if you do better.

I know the issue of distraction sounds very well. I have a hard time falling asleep in a quiet room. A quiet room can actually be an anxiety trigger as my brain tries to make sense of and focus on the ambient sounds, heater noise, clock ticking, etc. Put a TV dialogue on and I can go right to sleep. My brain recognizes the voices and decides to not pay attention to them. But, those voices mask the other sounds.

Background sounds are often best when they are something you have heard before but not overly repetitive. Your brain knows what to expect so it can ignore them. New sounds can stimulate attention as your brain waits to hear what is next. I can listen to foreign language singing and drift to sleep because I know the repeated beat and words, even if I do not understand them.

Hope this helps.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hom3mad3 (03-07-2018), NDSunshine (03-20-2018)