View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 02:49 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

The neuro feedback is what I expected. Sometimes, they play mental video games, at least the kids do. My neuro did it but did not see any way it could help me. My dysfunction is worse than any he had every treated with neuro feedback. He was one of the neuro feedback pioneers. He died last year. Another neuro feedback therapist could not figure out how to help me either.

Please consider not comparing her struggles to the occasional struggles you have. Normal brains get stuck trying to find a word or forgetting things in an entirely different way than TBI people do. The 'everybody does that from time to time' discounts the struggles we live with daily. If she lets you help her find the word, great. My wife often can do that for me as I stumble on as I speak. I have learned to rehearse what I want to say in a group. Impromptu speaking can be problematic.

If there is one thing that really annoys me, it is when people discount how hard I have to work to get my mind to work. Just because I can present intelligent ideas does not mean it is easy. She may have her limits in this area, too. Most of my brain injured friends have similar struggles. That is why support group is so valuable. We know how hard each of us are working to say what we are trying to say. And, we are not looking for praise in most cases. Being able to participate is our reward.

There are a few different word finding or speaking struggles many of us have.
Sometimes, a very common and generic word is just not there. I had such an episode earlier writing a NT post. I had to ask my wife and explained how the word is used.

It could be something like "What's that thing you use on the stove to boil water for coffee?" A tea pot. Words can be that simple.

A more frustrating part for me is the fade away word or idea. I can think of something I want to say and as I get ready to say it, it is like it is written in fading ink. I have to read the word in my mind before it fades away. But, it often does fade way. I can have an idea that I am trying to complete that just fades away. It like trying to catch somebody as they fall away from you.

The other struggle can be having the image of the word in your mind but not be able to get it to come out the lips.

The idea of visual presence vs what's inside is worth considering. My wife was not a beauty queen on the outside. But, she has a heart that does not stop. I had to make a hard pact with myself to never comment on her appearance. Then, one day after we had been married 9 years, she decided to look into getting her teeth straightened a second time. I knew is was going to be more than orthodontics but I made sure we could get it done. She ended up needing both her upper and lower jaws and chin surgically reconstructed due to a congenital deformity. As she turned 40, I got a new look with those same great eyes. My daughter needed the same surgery.

Don't get me wrong. I can appreciate physical beauty but rarely does it come with the heart of simpler women who learned to present a deeper beauty.

As I was reading your comment, I flashed back to a song. Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton. I've heard it sung by Darren Dowler of The Lettermen. His cover is better but I could not find it on YouTube. Here is the Eric Clapton version. Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight (Official Live Video) - YouTube

This broken brain enjoys classic harmonies from an older age. If you want to experience what my mind enjoys, play a few YouTube The Lettermen videos.

The chaos of current music is too hard for me enjoy. Does she have (take) any struggles with different genres of music? My brain just had a typing fart. Go figure how it typed take for have. I am constantly needing to edit my posts. I am good at 'backspace'

btw, You two are the same age as my kids. My son will be 37 and my youngest daughter is just a bit older than your lady.

My best to you both.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 03-07-2018 at 04:05 AM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote