View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 09:16 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Thanks for this post. Although there is most likely an underlying physiological cause for this sensitivity, I think my problems are at least equally caused by anxiety. Whenever I have something like a very bumpy car/train ride, abrupt unexpected train halt, aggressive haircut, strong kiss, hard landing( etc...the list goes on and on), my first reaction is that I feel that I need to tell someone about it and need to seek reassurance from somewhere. Its like I'm physically not able to move on with my day unless I have some kind of validation that I have not damaged my brain further. Often my posts on this site come while I'm in a frantic furry of rage and dread. I will even have this reaction if the incident caused no real surge in symptoms but then my mind starts racing and that in turn bring the symptoms.

I recognize my behaviour is very unhealthy (this has been pointed out to me by my parents and multiple healthcare professionals-they tell me just to let go and live my life/not worry about these things) but its just not something I feel I can control sometimes. I think this all stems from the very high professional aspirations ive had for myself. When something like the things ive listed happens I tell myself "that's it, your brain is now too damaged to ever recover or be physically able to accomplish any of your dreams, this was the nail in the coffin" or "that's it, I definitely have cte from this and the impacts/jarrings ive had throughout my entire life". Its an awful loop and it means I walk around on eggshells all day, its been like this for a couple months now ever since the head sensitivity started.

Also I have a question. Normally I would never worry about the things I listed but given the fact I have a history with concussions and that I have this sensitivity, isn't it easier for me to get a concussion. I had always been under the impression that concussions compound and that the more concussions you've had, the easier it is to get subsequent ones. You guys say "if xxx caused concussions then there would be an epidemic of people getting concussions from this thing" but hasn't the average person never had any kind of head injury? So like wouldnt their threshold be much high and thats why simple things that bother us cause no issues whatsoever for them? Not trying to cause dispute, just interested in what you and/or Mark has to say.
BenW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote