View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 03:25 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenW View Post
Thank you very much the support and advice, I really appreciate it. Whats your story with concussions if you don't mind me asking, and what is your daily routine/job now?
Hi Ben,

I'm glad I could help a bit. You can read about my own history in my previous posts, and I can give you more details in a PM if you wish (not here to avoid derailing your thread).

Quote:
It's kinda depressing for me cause I know that I don't have a choice but to trigger my symptoms every day since I have to take the subway and do a lot of walking and stuff like that.
These routine activities do not harm our brains. What kind of shoes do you wear? I now wear sneakers to go to work to minimize the jarring, and I have more formal shoes in my backpack or in my office if needed.

Even if we trigger symptoms by walking or taking the subway, the cost-benefit analysis clearly says that going out is better than staying home all the time. We would harm ourselves much more if we decided to stay home, isolated, and give up on our social life and activities. The adverse health effects of solitude are very well documented, perhaps even more so than the long-term issues you are worried about (CTE, etc.).

Quote:
Do you think if we were able to let loose and 'not care' as much, basically just live our day to day lives as best we can without thinking about concussions it would actually help our recovery more?
Mark said it many times already: the answer is clearly yes. This board should have set the facts straight for you, not you should work on accepting this knowledge. Think about the big picture again. No one knows exactly how we would feel now if we had been able to control our anxiety these past months/years. But the direction is clear: reducing anxiety is somewhat under our control, and it helps us, so we have to do it.

All the best.
Vania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote