View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 02:42 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Great for you. Did you do these dives alone or did you have an attendant overseeing the dives from the outside for the duration of the dive?

Have you had a Neuro Psych Assessment to support your self-reporting of benefits?

Dr Harch still lacks any control group in his research. Relying on SPECT is helpful but not enough to obviate a control group by most standards.

What do you mean by [indicating a restoration of reserve capacity.] ?
No I'm not doing any neuropsych. I am certain of my improvements, all the more so because I was becoming discouraged until right around 30 dives when I started to have days where I just started feeling different. I had felt the therapy wasn't working and became discouraged, but then it began to. I have also had comments from those close to me that my mood seems very different, so one way or the other things in my brain are changing. You don't go from going over the same old thoughts in your head endlessly to being casually calm and functional without real change. Trauma leading to PTSD doesn't work that way.

As I said I have a chamber in my home. I just do it all by myself.

I dispute that a control is really even necessary in the traditional sense. When you have little or no improvement for months or years in symptoms it is almost inconceivable to have sudden improvement over the course of a month. One of his studies involved compressing a set of 40 dives into a month and he recorded an average IQ increase of 15 points and a reduction on the PTSD scale of 30%. Those things simply don't improve suddenly like that.

By reserve capacity I refer to the ability of the brain to handle stressors or interference with normal function of different sorts while still being able to meet an acceptable functional threshold.
SilenceIsSacred is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote