View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 04:36 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Unhappy Weakened immune system

Hello, I'm new to NeuroTalk. I am a 71 year old male, diagnosed with mild MG 4 years ago. I have been on 20 mg prednisone and 1500 mg mycophenolate for the past year or two. My baseline status has been balance issues, droopy eyelids, mild slurred speech. Six months ago I developed cataracts, three months ago a prolonged bout of bronchitis, and one month ago shingles on the head and eye (worst of all!)(I had the old shingles vaccine 9 years previous). For the eye irritation, I am treated with two different eye drops for comfort. For the head pain and nerve damage, 1500 mg gabapentin for comfort.
It seems to me that I must wait for my immune system to heal the eye irritation and reduce head/nerve pain. From what I read, this can take months and years, and the pain can return. Since my immune system obviously is weak, I worry how long this will continue. Shingles is a horrendous, life altering illness.
So, my questions are:
Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with the immediate shingles issues?
And also, does anyone have experience or advice about decreasing, changing, or eliminating my MG meds in order to strengthen my immune system? (I do plan to discuss this with my Neurologist soon.)
Thanks to all for any comments. Get the new shingles vaccine at age 50!
Cobb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (03-10-2018)