Thread: benzo for sleep
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 02:20 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper999 View Post
My sleep has deteriorated significantly since menopause and some severe stressors that all happened close together. I have tried everything natural and still my sleep has gotten worse. I get drowsy, fall asleep and then suddenly am awake again. Over and over. Docs say this is related to anxiety, which I am sometimes aware of but not usually. I tried trazodone 25mg at bedtime. It worked for a few months. Now it no longer works. Hypnotics don't work. In the past month I have taken xanax at bedtime more nights than not. If I don't take it I am lucky to get 2 hours of sleep. My primary and my sleep doc think I should just take the xanax every night. I see a psych nurse who wants to switch me to klonopin every night. I have never taken anything like this before and it scares me. But the lack of sleep is unbearable. Has anyone successfully taken a benzo for sleep for more than a few weeks or months? I am taking .5 mg of the xanax and 25 mg of trazodone about an hour before bed and then going to bed when I am very sleepy. Either the xanax has made me forget or I am not startling awake when I do that. My sleep doc also tried vicodin for my restless leg syndrome but I cannot take it with the xanax and I cannot sleep without the xanax, so I have given up on that.

Thank you.
Xanax and other benzos are addictive and can stop working over time. You also shouldnt take them if you have central or obstructive sleep apnea. Exspecially central apnea.
Dnester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote