View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 07:06 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well, here is my story of "Paying It Forward" - the condensed version

I have a degree in IT. I made a small fortune in IT back during the DotCom boom. Working from home and having WAY too much money was my ultimate demise.

I nearly drank myself to death.

So, when my head finally cleared in 2012-ish I started to volunteer at a Community Centre in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I quickly became the building manager which included: opening, closing, food prep, cleaning, shoveling snow, trimming bushes, painting, plumbing, electrical work and ?. I am a jack-of-all-trades so this was an easy task. A weekly recovery meeting was dropped in my lap and I became the "head" of it to my dismay. I still am the "head" of this group to this day, it just stuck.

This led to me creating resumes, job development and placement for recently released inmates and the homeless and I then became known around town as "The guy that gets felons jobs".

I was offered a position at a local non-profit (which I accepted) and became even more well-known.

Now I work in the prison system, have received awards, have helped hundreds find jobs and have kept dozens of people from going back to the drink.

BUT, I am just a simple guy. I do NOT like the spotlight, I drive a 25 year old wagon, live in 400 sqft, and look like a "bum" on weekends with my green hoodie and ripped jeans.

I love what I am, what I do, and where I am going.
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (03-15-2018), FrankB (03-15-2018), kiwi33 (03-14-2018), PamelaJune (03-15-2018), SecondChances (03-15-2018), Wide-O (03-14-2018)