View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 05:52 PM
Grand Magnate

8 yr Member
Grand Magnate

8 yr Member

I am a biomedical scientist (PhD, no medical qualifications). For many years I had a University teaching/research position, which I enjoyed.

I drank socially for many years though, with hindsight, this increased with time. Probably this was due to my Major Depressive Disorder; there is a strong history of this in my family. I may have been trying to self-medicate MDD with alcohol which was not a good plan.

About 12 years ago I realised that I needed to do something about this so I became a voluntary patient in a psychiatric hospital. I was there for about a month. It was a life-changing experience; apart from what the clinical psychologists and psychiatrists offered it was good to talk with other patients - this helped me to understand that I am not a "freak".

I have been sober since then though I still get urges (very rare currently). I am also in remission from MDD.

I am now semi-retired but am still active in science; I get manuscripts and grant applications to review. Some of the 50+ research students who I supervised keep in touch, some for social reasons and others asking for general thoughts, reviewing a draft that they wrote or asking me to be a referee.

I am content.
eva5667faliure (03-15-2018), FrankB (03-15-2018), Icehouse (03-14-2018), PamelaJune (03-15-2018), SecondChances (03-15-2018), Wide-O (03-15-2018)