View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 12:10 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vania View Post
Hi Ben, I am sorry to hear how you are feeling this week. My symptoms are quite similar to yours (headaches, brain fog, fatigue, some memory impairment and concentration difficulties).

I am sorry but I am unable to give an educated answer to your question, as Mark will surely do. Have you thought about giving yourself some quiet rest to see if that helps? I would certainly not quit all activities for an extended period of time, but a few days of rest to go through the relapse would perhaps be useful. I sometimes do it (for 24-48 hours) when my symptoms are too strong.

Have you invested in good shoes? I personally find hiking shoes to be the best, but there are also some comfortable sneakers or running shoes, as I already told you. Walking shouldn't be a problem with these.

To reduce the inflammation, have you started an anti-inflammatory diet? I think I mentioned that to you already. Many people on these boards have had good results with it, in particular for the sensitivity that many suffer from. It takes some discipline and patience, but it is probably worth trying. You can see these threads for instance:
Update on diet and PCS
An unusual head injury

There are many people on these boards who recovered well even after a prolonged period of post-concussion syndrome; perhaps you could try thinking more about these cases than about the nightmare scenarios that seem to obsess you?
Thanks for the response, yes I've dug out some old basketball shoes and will try and wear those for a change since the have more cushion than skateboard shoes or boots. I've also bought some insoles but I don't find them to provide much relief. I went out last night and had to do a lot of walking and it was hell.

Ive been eating as healthy as I can but it's almost impossible for me to never eat any 'inflammatory' foods.

Your right, the thought that I'm causing myself constant damage with every step or bump in the road/train does consume me at times but if only I could get that idea out of my head it would be much better.

My mom had an interesting idea, she said that perhaps the walking sensitivity and sensations in my head started out mild but now that i look for it and focus on it whenever I'm walking and I essentially move around on eggshells with my whole back tense and now that has made it much worse. Not because of physiological reasons but because I've built up so much in my head.

She said maybe if I could convince myself that there was no way waking could actually harm my brain, I would not think about it and it would go away.

I'm not sure I agree but it's plausible, regardless I just want to be able to walk comfortably again, without thinking about it and without it causing me problems, it is truly all I care about and it not being able to do so makes my day to day life a living hell.

I'm also considering moving in with my grandma who lives much closer to my school than I do. This would diminish the travel I would have to do and would reduce the time I have to spend on the awful metro every day.

Ive been taking it easy, as much as I could this week but I still had to leave the house to go to appointments and a few events. I had a bad setback on the metro earlier this week also.
BenW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote