View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 02:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi DWA1, no personal experience here with chiropractic neurology. The very term chiropractic neurologist sends every alarm bell ringing. You hit the nail on the head when you said: they are taking advantage of desperate folks.

My PN is profound, and I have AFO braces on both legs AND walk with the walker. Two of the three major nerves in my legs are completely unresponsive. This has all occurred over the past 15 years, with the profound damage diagnosed 8 years ago. I was not aware that the neuropathy was occurring until it was profound!

One of the most frustrating thing is that when people tell me to just 'try harder' and that if I were in better shape (stronger) I wouldn't have balance issues! I'm sure you have run into people with 'good ideas' about what you should eat, take, do to improve your chronic condition.

I do take Gabapentin, but for Small Fiber Neuropathy, which is neuropathy of the surface nerves in my skin and is called Skin on Fire Syndrome for a very good reason. I take a huge dose daily of Gabapentin (3600 mg/day) which controls but doesn't completely eliminate my discomfort. However, I'm only left with numbness and tinging of the front of my face, lips, tongue. That is bearable.

My family is very medical (husband taught and did Transplantation immunology research, for 25 years at a medical center), and I have very little patience for many true medical professionals, who are undertrained and don't listen or learn anything after medical school, and for most all 'alternative' approaches.

I would say that at least 60% of neuropathies are idiopathic (if you work with a good neurologist, you'll find a cause for your neuropathy very quickly, if there is one: I've had every single genetic test, for example, and have ruled out the usual suspects: diabetes, physical nerve damage, environmental toxins, alcohol abuse, etc.) and that about 90% of the time nothing can be done to reverse, stop or slow down the neuropathy.

But pain and suffering are great motivators, and most of us will not give up the quest for relief.

Regards, ElaineD
ElaineD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tnthomas (03-23-2018)