View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 10:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

What CS posted happens to alot of people..Ive read about it online, and Ive heard it discussed in support groups..Me..Im not married, so that part of it doesnt apply to me, and I have completely abandoned the idea of ever marrying again..That decision was made before dx after marriage #2 failed, and pd is all the more reason now why I have no desire to make that committment again..I am basically a reasonably happy guy..I have moments of near euphoric happiness where I am grateful for the life that I have, and am enjoying it more now than I ever have..I have dealt with pd the best I can after I got over the initial shock of dx..But I see how the people in my life around me deal with it..this is when you find out who your real friends are..My family dramatizes it..Some people keep their distance in fear that I may ask them to help me with something, and others wont allow me to do anything when they are around..Some people wont get in my truck with me, even though I can drive just fine..But they would get in a boat with me.. ..Figure that one out.. ..Sometimes people give me the feeling that Im like a marked card in the deck, and still others tell me that I am a source of strength for them, especially in AA..There are people who are faced with illnesses who, come and talk to me about it, and it makes me feel useful..So having pd can be a mixed bag of good and bad

What CS mentioned, and I find myself doing now is talking less and less to people about pd..This can be very hard to avoid, because the usual greeting from people is "How do you feel?"..I reply that Im doing well, and drop the subject..I have been through the process of feeling different from the average people, and i just want to blend in and be one amongst many..I had a good summer season fishing this year, and for the amount of gear I fished, I did as well as most, and better than some of the physically able guys..Pd forces you to use your mind rather than your muscle..and Ive found that I always have to be open to different strategies, as the former way of life as I knew it doesnt apply to most situations anymore..Back on the subject of marriage, relationships, etc..I have lived without a live-in female partner since 2003..(I have a girlfriend who doesnt live with me)..and I am most content moving at my own pace, and doing what I want to do..when I want to..My daughter is 26 yrs old and has her own life..So I plan on staying the course, and getting as much enjoyment out of life as I can..while it lasts