View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 01:51 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Aden View Post
Hi,
I was visiting my daughter in Zurich when l started getting very painful sharp electric type stabs in the throat when swallowing or coughing. These stabs progressed to incredibly painful debilitating attacks where sometimes l seized and my heart would stop.
The hospital was convinced l was a heart patient and l woke in surgery as they put in a temporary pace maker. I was in hospital for 3 weeks before lyrica worked on stopping the stabs and the attacks. I found a fabulous Neurological surgeon back home in Melbourne who will perform Microvascular Decompression surgery and place a piece of teflon sponge between the artery and the 9th cranial nerve. I am very apprehensive but for me as a person living alone l think it is a sensible way to go.I fully understand your pain. It is absolutely intollerable. I hope you get the right help fast.
Helen Aden Melbourne Victoria Australia.
Hi, I have had it for 24 years. I have it unilaterally, left side. Most people have it on the left. I also have trigeminal neuralgia and have that bilaterally. When you have GN, and TN the TN is usually bilateral. It is very difficult, and the pain is great. Seizures and heart stopping are part of it.
I get bradycardia after pain but my heart has not stopped yet.
What is there to say?
Vaughn

This is part of MS sometimes. It is the "Oh my God what next!?", and then you deal with it. Glossopharngeal neuralgia, and I have had it for decades is under represented. In the USA the Facial Pain Center only has a pamphlet they give out on it while they have tons on trigeminal neuralgia. Try drinking alcohol? Chances are you will throw it up! Done it many times. Coffee too. I would be interested talking with anyone who has had bradycardia with the pain. We know your heart can stop, anyone have a pacemaker for it?
Have a safe day.
Vaughn1

Last edited by Chemar; 03-27-2018 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Merging 2 posts
Vaughn1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (10-22-2018)