View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 01:36 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Six years into this battle

I must say that I'm not only still optimistic, but truly happy about my life. I'm still progressing very slowly at 69, but know that, absent a true breakthrough treatment or cure, the slow catastrophe is coming.
I've seen PD all my life in my mother and older brother, both of whom fiinally succumbded to its ravages, one after 30-plus years, the other after only 15. Both suffered dementia which seemed to me the most tragic aspect of the disease. Also, although never diagnosed with PD, my older sister had dementia for the last few years of her life,which ended at 72. I now know that she probably had Lewy body dementia, likely the result of the same genetic mutation I have and that may now be hidden in my own children and grandchildren. It's now time for DNA testing to attempt to identfy the monster, if possible. Although my own children are already aware of what the possibilities are, they must deal with the tough decisions about how to break the news to their children. For them and all of our children, it is my fervent hope that the next decade will bring a cure, or at least truly effective neuroprotective treatment.
I am unusually blessed in that my wife and my brother's widow have been best freinds for many years, well before we were aware of the monster gene among us. Her great spiritual strength, resiliency, patience and sense of humor continue to be a major source of inspiration and encouragement to both of us. For us, hope, faith and family have been our anchors!
Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote