View Single Post
Old 04-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoseydavis View Post
On July 11, 2011 my Husband (22 yrs old) of only 7 months suffered a Severe traumatic Brain Injury as a result of a motorcycle accident that was not his fault. Along with multiple severe fractures he was diagnosed with Severe Diffuse Axonal Injury, which is shearing, tearing, swelling, to the entire brain. The Severe label means his mid brain has been damaged. 90% of people with this injury never wake up and the 10% that do cannot communicate, understanding, or perform any independent life activities. Less than 5% of people regain any type of independence. We were told to remove him from life support after 9 days in ICU. I didn't and it took him 3 months in a coma to start emerging! Now, 11 months since his accident, and only 8 months out of a 3 month coma Matthew will be walking independently any day now! He can talk, eat, pee, laugh, joke, REMEMBER THE ACCIDENT, remember all his long term memories, and his short term memories have been coming back everyday, he tells time, watches movies, plays games, is a romantic, writes in his journal, and texts on his phone. His personality has not changed at all!!! For something that started with so much despair I cannot help but feel eternally grateful. Matthew is a true miracle, science said it is impossible, that he should not be doing any of this. THERE IS HOPE! MIRACLES DO HAPPEN! DO NOT GIVE UP! It has been and will continue to be a long road but it is worth taking. *edit*

My dad has a Diffuse Axonal Injury too. He is 6 months out from his accident and he is going though pretty intense agitation and aggression. Did your husband go through this? We are going on 2 months of waiting for him to get through this phase. It’s incredibly difficult! I am so happy that your husband has made such great progress and recovery!
Sheaestevens is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote