View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 12:58 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Exercise Intolerance Since Concussions

I suffered two concussions from skiing in March of 2017. Didn't think much of it until I started experiencing strange headaches every time I exercised. So I went to a neurologist who started me on vestibular therapy. This didn't do much for me because even the toughest vestibular exercises didn't cause me any problems. Felt pretty lost because I was still getting headaches from exercise but nothing else! The "typical" PCS triggers didnt cause me any problems.

Found a more knowledgeable neurologist who got me doing a version of the Buffalo Protocol to help improve my tolerance for exercise. Have been trying to do this off and on the last 8 months but have really struggled to make any progress. My problem is that during my workout I don't experience concussive symptoms or headaches, but it is when I stop exercising I get the headache. It isnt immediate, but usually 30 minutes to an hour after I get hit by a headache. Headaches usually last for a few hours but can linger for days. The headaches are not "painful", but it feels like I have an intense throbbing pressure in my head. My eyes get pressure behind them. These headaches leave me exhausted, and put me in a fog. It makes it hard to follow the Buffalo protocol because I cant judge how hard to go in a workout, and I have found that even small increases in heart rate during exercise will still give me a headache later.

Sorry for all the text, but just posting on here to tell my story and to see if anyone has any advice or has experienced something similar. My doctor and therapist don't have any answers, and at this point they just keep telling me that it will take time and to be patient. I haven't seen any improvement in this last year and have been feeling lost lately on what to do. I get random headaches that come and go some days, but they are mild compared to what I get after I exercise. I feel sharp in school, but feel trapped not being able to exercise.

I know many people on here have it way worse than me, so I feel lucky that the only thing I struggle with is exercise, but I would love to be able to be active again.
pizzamanluigi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote