View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 09:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA1 View Post
I took Cipro and Flagyl in combination while suffering from Diverticulitis several years ago. I had many attacks in a one year period and was on these antibiotics for 3 weeks during every attack. I had no side effects from the drugs at the time (no quick onset), and surgery eventually provided relief from the DV, but over time, my PN came on and then progressed. I often wonder if the antibiotics were the cause? I have no way of knowing, but I do know that those medications saved my life during the attacks. If they were the cause of the PN, I suppose it's the price I had to pay...
I have weird neuropathy that is triggered by meds. I too was given Flagyl for DV but I had such a severe neuropathy flare up I refused to continue taking it. I think I just took the Cipro or was given it instead but my DV was probably not as bad as yours. I am not sure but I suspect my neuropathy was initially caused by taking a calcium channel blocker for blood pressure and eating a bunch grapefruit along with it, grapefruit inhibits a liver enzyme that metabolizes meds and that is when it started and was the worst. Several meds trigger mine, notably inhalers, but for some reason I have gotten a lot less sensitive over the past couple of years. I hope that happens to you too.
zygopetalum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote