View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 07:56 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA1 View Post
I took Cipro and Flagyl in combination while suffering from Diverticulitis several years ago. I had many attacks in a one year period and was on these antibiotics for 3 weeks during every attack. I had no side effects from the drugs at the time (no quick onset), and surgery eventually provided relief from the DV, but over time, my PN came on and then progressed. I often wonder if the antibiotics were the cause? I have no way of knowing, but I do know that those medications saved my life during the attacks. If they were the cause of the PN, I suppose it's the price I had to pay...
My story is exactly the same as yours. Suffered from Diverticulitis to the point of requiring colon resection which was done robotically in November, 2016. Was prescribed Cipro and Flagyl at triple the dosage leading up to the surgery. Even then, I still had infection inside the colon. Noticed pain in my legs leading up to the surgery but didn't think anything of it. Within a few weeks of being released, the numbness in my feet quickly spread up my legs. Once it got above my knees it went into my hands and a few weeks later spread up my arms. Numbness has been replaced by the burning and stinging so prevalent with the rest of us. I have a terrible aching in my ankles and up my legs. I feel very weak and suspect I'm losing my strength. I have seen several neurologists who ran a battery of nerve conduction tests. They concluded I have a rare neurological disease called chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP). They treated me with IVIG for six days and then a round of steroids. When the symptoms returned within a few weeks, I was sent to a second neurologist who diagnosed me with charcot marie tooth disease, which is largely untreatable. Going to a fourth neurologist, she said it was not any of the first two and was a result of diabetes, even though my numbers were normal. I'm about 14 months out now and treat my pain with Gabapentin, Cymbalta and Tramadol. I'm retired so I can minimize the time on my feet. From what I can find out on line, Cipro has a black box warning now due to the potential of PN. Big pharma has been taken to task in federal court for some of this but I don't recall ever being told this was a possibility. Like you, without it I probably wouldn't be here right now since my colon was perforated. I just pray that neither yours or mine are permanent conditions and we can get better. Anyway, I was glad to see your posting. This is a pretty miserable way to live.. Rick
rkc263 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote