View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 02:22 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thank you for your note, glenntaj. This is why I've been trying to convince my neurologist to investigate my symptoms more than he has. I'm now trying to find a new neurologist.

After the SFN diagnosis, and even before, my comments about such symptoms as shaking, tremors, or whatever you'd like to call, and well as fasciculations were mostly ignored. This is likely because nothing showed up on the EMG on three occasions. I'm not sure if that's because the large fiber involvement is so minimal that it's not picked up, or because there is CNS involvement. I do have some minor memory and cognitive issues, including slow processing at times, but that may be due to psychological affects arising from my terrible situation. If you have any ideas/thoughts here, I'd very much appreciate them.

At this point I've lost any real hope of finding the cause and of stopping the progression of my disease. But I will try to see some new physicians and see what, if anything, can be done.

Thanks again for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--small fiber neuropathy, by definition, attacks the tiny diameter, unmyelinated and thinly myelinated nerve fibers that subsume the sensory functions of pain and temperature and autonomic functions, motor symptoms are not part of the symptom profile. If one is getting tremors or fasiculations or other motor symptoms, that implies there is at least some myelinated larger fiber involvement, or some sort of central nervous system involvement (taking it out of the realm of "peripheral" neuropathy).

It's not uncommon for there to be mixed types of neuropathy, such as predominantly small fiber neuropathy with some larger fiber involvement. But pure small fiber neuropathy is sensory and/or autonomic in nature.
DavidHC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote