View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 06:51 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Bre, When you post, scroll to below the last post and use the Post Reply link at the bottom left. It makes scrolling much easier.

I am always amazed by clinics that offer 'concussion therapy.' There really is no such thing. It is more a way a concussion clinic can bill for services and make the patient think they are receiving treatment. There is no evidence that concussion therapy provides any benefit. But, some like the hand holding and being told they are doing better. Post Concussion Syndrome is not a diagnosis before 6 weeks or so. Any symptoms before 6 or 8 weeks are just normal concussion symptoms. Good to hear you do not manifest any.

You may want to consider that you did receive a very minor concussion. Most recover within a few days. Military research has found that a concussion can cause PTSD to be greatly magnified. Getting strangled with the brain stress of even a minor concussion can be a recipe for PTSD. The confusion of "What is happening in my mind?" becomes additional traumatic stress.

The Remeron and Klonopin may not be what you need. Even the experts do not fully understand what Remeron does. It is a tetracyclic antidepressant and/or atypical anti-psychotic. Many have good experience with Celexa. Amitriptyline in low doses helps many with insomnia.

My doctor switched me from Klonopin to Gabapentin. I started at 1200 mgs an hour before bed. I still take it 18 years later but only 300 mgs. Without it, my mind and body stay attentive to too many stimuli. With it, I sleep soundly and wake up refreshed after 6 to 7 hours of sleep.

I had a severe claustrophobia trauma 4.5 years ago that messed me up with PTSD. I lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks. The racing mind was miserable. My doc put me on Zyprexa for short term to help my mind settle down until Celexa took effect in a few weeks. I was on Zyprexa for 5 or 6 weeks. I was off the Celexa 6 months later.

What SSRI did you try? The first few days can be rough. It appears you need a doctor who has a better understanding of the various drugs that may help.

You need to understand that the concept "This is all in my mind." does not put you at fault. The stress messes up the brain's normal chemistry and can even cause physiological changes in brain matter. Please look at your struggles as outside yourself.

Do not drink coffee or any caffeine beverages. They are seriously contra-indicated with your condition and meds.

Your sleep is the most important thing you can try to effect. You need to get up in the morning at a normal time every day. No sleeping in, even if you did not get a good night's sleep. No naps during the day. Slow your activities a few hours before bed. Get everything ready, hygiene, lights down, morning preparations done, bed ready, make notes about anything you may be thinking about for tomorrow so you do not try to remember it and end all stimulating communications an hour or more before bed. Put your iPhone away. End your day with nothing that needs attention.

You may sleep better falling asleep watching mundane TV. Things that do not require conscious response can help the mind let go. The meaningless distractions can occupy the 'thinking channel' in the mind so it can let go.

And, scroll up to the top of the NT index page and read the Vitamins sticky. You need B-12 plus a bunch more. B-12 lozenges twice a day at a minimum. Get the methylcobalamin 1000 mcg lozenges. I take mine as soon as I wake up. Your brain needs extra nutrition.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote