Thread: DRG Treatment
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 08:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I really haven't found any information at all on upper body DRG...so I'm kind of relying heavily on my own doctor's opinion at this point because for me it's either the DRG or the regular SCS. I don't really want a traditional SCS for a variety of reasons...like I don't think it will give me lasting relief past a few months to a year, pain relief at best will probably be 50%, it would require an entire second unit be implanted, etc. Or I can try the DRG which will cover less area than the SCS but can hopefully target where the pain is the worst (elbows to hands), pain relief could be up to 70-80%, can run leads off the unit I already have implanted, and DRG hasn't shown the same issues with people getting used to it/diminishing pain relief after 3 months to a year (hasn't been around as long though so it's still a risk).

I know it's a gamble...but in this case it's a gamble I am willing to take with my eyes wide open. Because quite frankly...I'm not getting relief from anything else and have a baseline of 8 pain and a steady 9-10 for the past almost 2 months now...I just can't take it anymore. I feel like I HAVE to try...and that's ME saying that...not my doctor. Don't get me wrong...I think my doctor jumps at the chance to do anything DRG related because it's new, they're still doing trials with it, etc. One thing I like about him is that he's very blunt about certain things and doesn't over promise...at least I've never felt that way.

So maybe I'll be one of the first to really document the experience with upper body DRG on the internet and share the experience so it's out there for people. DRG in the US is still really new and I know they are trying all sorts of things including a completely wireless system and other advances in the technology. Who knows what it will look like a year from now, 2 years from now, or 5 years from now? But one of the reasons I share my experiences here is so others know and have an idea....good, bad, and ugly.

I really hope that the DRG in the upper body works and can provide me relief like the I got in my leg. The pain is not gone and still flares up...but it's SIGNIFICANTLY better...like...life changing better...and if I can get even a fraction of that relief in my hands I will jump at the chance. I also know...this stuff is not for everyone. Everyone has to make their own treatment choices and should do so in an informed way with eyes wide open to risks and if that's worth it for them. 5 years ago I never would have even considered an SCS...but things change, pain levels change, etc and then it's time to look at other options. I would give almost anything to go back to when my pain was a 6 baseline and I didn't need any of this stuff...even if the upper body DRG works I would still trade to go back to baseline 6 with no need for the DRG because overall life was better for me. But stuff happens...fell off a stupid ladder at work and now this is my life. Now I will have to live my life with this THING in me that does help my pain but will impact so many other things in my life...always worrying about what if it stops working, what if I want to have another baby (I do...but don't know if it will be worth the risk to the DRG), what about the battery replacements every 5-7 years and constant recovery from that for the rest of my life (I'm only 34...so hopefully I have a good long while left in me), travelling, what if I have other injuries that damage the DRG or can't be repaired because of the DRG, plus a million other things I am sure I'm not even thinking about.

Anyway...that's just me rambling on and getting my thoughts out there...not directed at anyone in particular...just where the thoughts took me. Off to go eat something and then rest for a while.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (04-22-2018), RSD ME (04-22-2018)