View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 07:24 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Insurance (Work Comp) paid for the 1st. He was biased against me.
Health plan paid for 2nd and 3rd years later. I only paid a co-pay for each of 3 sessions for the last.

2nd was to get Social Security Disability since 1st was too old.

3rd was to validate PTSD and cognitive issues from another trauma.

1st was PhD who was biased in favor of Work Comp since they paid him extra for photocopying 60 pages of medical records and my comments. (In violation of Work Comp statutes). He was able to get twice the normal WC fees. He stated that despite my near perfect no malingering scores, I was faking most of the test. He said nobody could have a high IQ and low memory and processing scores.

2nd was a fresh ink Psych D finishing his fellowship/residency at Kaiser Health Plan. He was clueless and relied on 1st's comments. He could not even do a proper PASAT.

3rd was a doc who spent years in a neuro rehab hospital and was excellent. He fully understood the effects of brain injuries since he had spent 20 years working with only brain injury patients.

All 3, spaced over 14 years, had almost identical results. I'm not getting better but I am not getting worse.

One of the things I have learned is quite simple. I don't pay attention to symptoms directly. If I feel the need to slow down, I just slow down. But, I have been living with PCS for 50 years.

The 1st doc was confused when I said I needed to pause when a leaf blower was outside the window. He was clueless. He also though it was odd when I complained about looking at him with 30 framed certificates on the wall behind him. He had no understanding of over-stimulation.

I had an additional problem. With 1 and 2, it was obvious I had a higher intelligence than the PhD and PsychD. They were intimidated. No 3 was impressed with my IQ and saw how my memory dysfunctions and processing slowness was in conflict with my IQ and how that can be very frustrating. He actually stated he had never seen such high WAIS IQ scores with his patients. But, he was also smarter. We even joked together when I told him I had answered a few questions wrong on the IQ test and had arrived at the correct answer.

I encourage anybody getting an NPA to try to find a neuro psych who is heavily involved and even has his office in a neuro rehab hospital.

Other than a disability application, the most valuable part of the NPA was validating what I perceived as dysfunctions so I knew to not fight against my limits and get frustrated by them. I just find a way to work-around and go on.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
msjennifera (06-16-2018)