View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 04:36 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenfriend View Post
The last time I saw the doctor, he was talking like he was a professor with a podium that he was reading from. I needed to ask him a question. I did. After he answered my question he went back to what he was reading from on his podium, and said, "Before I was interrupted...". I was asking him an important question. I wasn't interrupting him. BF
This is a pet peeve of mine. I used to just stew about it and not say anything out loud, although my body language probably said otherwise!

I finally mustered up the courage one day during a visit with this doctor (a Neurologist....shocking!!) to speak up. I was nice about it but I interrupted him and just said "Excuse me. I don't normally interrupt people unless it's important. You might not realize it but your tone of voice you're presenting with to me is very condescending. I understand more than you think I do about my MS because I do research everything I can about it because I DO want to get better. So please speak to me as someone who is a willing partner in my health care and not someone who doesn't understand my disease."

The look on his face was priceless. It sort of scared me for a second because he didn't say anything. But he did apologize (not sure how sincere it was ) but he heard me and the ball was in his court now. I had to speak up because I couldn't expect him to read my mind and know what I was feeling. He did get a little better after that but some people are just abrupt in their presentation. Their affect is a bit "uppity" but I think they are really just trying to keep up with a hectic schedule and many patients who all have a different set of symptoms for them to keep track of. Not making excuses for their behavior but I know when I get overwhelmed I get snippy. They chose this career so I say "suck it up, baby".
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (04-26-2018), Brokenfriend (04-26-2018), Dmom3005 (04-29-2018), Mari (04-26-2018), OhKay (04-26-2018)