View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 10:00 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondChances View Post
I will say though that the gains have mostly been as of late and after over 8 months of abstinence.
Which is *exactly* how long it took me to see a real improvement. Before that, it was totally similar to what you have just gone through. I got sober in June 2012, and only saw real progress in March/April 2013. You can look back over the pages - 8 months was always the "magic border" (of course, that may be slightly different for each of us)

Quote:
It is disappointing that much of the information on the internet and that relayed by my doctors have said the damage is not reversible and permanent. For that reason first hand accounts are a valuable resource and it is imperative that suffers know that improvement IS possible. To what extent cannot be known but every small improvement is a gift.
Neurologists (and docs in general) hate/are uncomfortable with diseases they have little control over. When mine said it, it sounded like a death sentence. Finished. No more normal walking, burning pain for the rest of my life, every day. "It's irreversible, bye!".

I am now working with a neurologist on our non-profit team. You can bet she gets a lot of information from me - including the stories from this forum.

Right now, my "guesstimate" is that we can improve up to 80% from the worst moments. Perhaps we will find new tools/meds that even improve on that. Sure, the disease will still be there, i.e. is not "cured", but the life quality is, by several factors, if we a) keep sober and b) try to use the right diet/supplements/mindset.

Last Sunday, we went on a trip to Amsterdam. I drove (2 hours), we walked around there shopping (so lots of start/stop movements) and racked up 10 kilometers, and then drove back (2 hours again). Even though I had forgotten my medication, I was able to fight through it. Sure, there was pain, but not in a way it made me stop or incapacitate me. As soon as I could sit in the car (even while driving) the pain slowly retreated.

There is no chance in hell I could have done done that in the first 8 months. I couldn't even drive well enough to go shopping 3km further down the road.
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PamelaJune (05-01-2018), SecondChances (04-30-2018)