View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 05:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I have had 5 mild concussions spread out over the past 5 years from non-contact sports and other unlucky accidents. I was never knocked out or unconscious. I suffered from months of PCS after each incident, some longer than others…but I did always eventually recover.

Here are some examples of things that I worry about daily:

-Hitting head in sleep/Falling asleep in a vehicle - I am concerned if I fall asleep in a vehicle that a hard brake or pot hole would throw my head into the window or seat. I also surround my head in pillows when I sleep every night.

-I must be very careful every time I get in and out of the car not to bump my head on the door frame.

-Going over bumpy roads in the car makes my symptoms worse.

-Moving my head too fast to look or turn makes me dizzy so I always move my body very slowly and gently.

-Getting Haircuts, Washing/Drying Hair & Face, Running/Jumping, Hugs & Kisses, Flossing/Brushing/Shaving – Since my head just feels so vulnerable now, I worry about these things leading to another head injury or setback if done too roughly.

These may sound silly to an outsider but for me, they are all real fears, and greatly interfere with my life on top of the physical pain. I had an MRI which was normal. I have seen multiple neurologists, ENT, optometrist, neuro
ophthalmologist, and an acupuncturist. I am currently going for Biofeedback therapy, but it has only been 1 session so I can’t say whether it has helped. I am hesitant about seeing a chiropractor as I don’t want my neck adjusted too fast.
Here are some outstanding questions that I have...any answers, advice or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much! 😊

-Will my symptoms eventually get better with time? I am scared that the state I am in might be permanent since I’ve had a history of concussions (although they were all mild injuries).
Hi Robo.

Let me disclaim up front that I am not an MD nor PhD level Psychologist. Also let me state that no internet forum offers legitimate medical advice.

It sounds to me as if you have severe anxiety. Whether that was caused by your concussions is at this point irrelevant. Further injury from "Hitting head in sleep" or "getting haircuts" is nearly impossible. Your other fears, while possible, are very unlikely. Hey, I got hit by a train, please don't add that one to your list.

My disclaimer above stated "I am not an MD nor PhD level Psychologist". You need one of these. A 22 year old healthy male doesn't present your symptoms without underlying factors. Sounds as if your neurologists and other practitioners haven't found the root causes of your symptoms yet.

"Will my symptoms eventually get better with time?"

Probably, but you need answers to the root cause of your symptoms.
What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote