Thread: Back to work??
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 01:01 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

If reading or watching TV did not cause you headaches or fatigue, it did not likely cause any negative issues. If you feel you need to push through when reading, such as reread a line or lose sense of where you are in a story or concept, stop and take a break.

The minimal mental exertion protocol is just the first 24 to 48 hours. After that, stimulation that does not cause or increase symptoms is fine because it encourages blood flow to the brain.

It helps to learn to recognize the early onset of fatigue. For me, it was needing to reread a line of text or missing a bit of dialogue on TV or any sort of, 'I missed some of that.' feeling. I spent my days switching between activities. TV, computer, putzing around in my garage/shop, taking the dogs for a walk, and such. I may start spacing out after only 10 minutes or I may be able to last 2 hours. Each day was different.

For me, the key issues was quality of sleep. If I did not sleep soundly with good breathing, my day would be miserable, as we called them, 'Not a driving day.' If I slept well, I could accomplish much more.

I have learned sleep hygiene skills to the point that I fall asleep in just a few minutes. I wake up naturally in 5 or 6 hours with no sense of disturbed sleep. It took a long time to learn these skills. I encourage you to consider how you feel when you wake up and whether you are getting quality sound sleep.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote