View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 08:15 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Pam, the surgeon said the time is usually 5 years; but I have read articles that encourage a longer period of time. I'm also suppose to make an appointment with a Radiation doctor which I have not yet done. I will ask the Oncologist to suggest someone when I see her on Tuesday.

She was the Oncologist I originally saw when I had surgery for rectal cancer in 2012. I had declined chemo treatment at that time but the surgeon that did that surgery said he would accept my declining his recommendation only if I was well informed and and saw the Oncologist he recommended before my next follow-up appointment with him. The Oncologist did agree that chemo would most likely cause my PN to worsen. She wanted me to be sure to have a CEA test every 6 months which would most likely show the next area the cancer would turn up; which I have been doing. So far it has not appeared to progress.

I had not previously mentioned on NT until my 5/11 post to Eva that I had been diagnosed with breast cancer which was actually located on my annual mammogram in 2016. The radiologist said it was small and appeared to be benign. As a result he suggested I get mammograms and Ultrasounds ever 6 months to keep watch. Which I had been doing.

This past February, the radiologist suggested that I should have a biopsy done because the mass appeared to be changing. The biopsy was done at the end of February (my gynecologist said he could not feel anything there); so I was caught by surprise when I received a call the next day after the biopsy that I had Invasive Ductal Carcinoma.

My children urged me to go to Northwestern Medical Center in Chicago rather than see the surgeon in my area the gyny suggested.

Northwestern Medical Center is where I had the surgery. Even the surgeon at the Medical Center could not feel the mass so I had to have a pre-wire inserted thru Ultrasound just prior to surgery to locate the mass which was small and on the back wall of breast. Afterwards was transferred to the hospital across the street where surgery took place.

.....Had I not been getting annual mammograms; by the time this would be something the doctors could feel, it most likely would have been much worse. This is a good reason to keep up with annual mammograms for women usually starting at 40 - 50 yrs. old.

Gerry
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (05-31-2018), PamelaJune (05-14-2018)