View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 08:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Turned Down by Neuros--Why?

Maybe someone can give me a clue as to why I'm being turned away. I am 67, female, with several autoimmune challenges.

I have been diagnosed with idiopathic neuropathy. A nerve conduction study showed damage in both arms and both legs. The neurologist became upset with me when my naturopath sent her a note asking for a brain scan to rule out MS.

She raised her voice and told me she did not want a naturopath "butting in" and that I definitely do not have MS. She said that I have severe spinal cord degeneration throughout my spine. I looked over my spine MRI reports but they do not mention spinal cord degeneration. I asked a rheumatologist and my PCP to review the same records and they also did not see such evidence.

I have since developed scary muscle spasms in my thoracic muscles and hands. I've had them in my feet and legs all along, which the first neurologist originally attributed to disc problems in the lower spine. I had a series of steroid shots and am not sure they helped. I asked my PCP for a referral to get a second opinion.

My PCP referred me to a second neurologist who reviewed my records and (after four months of waiting) said he was unable to see any reason to see me. I was then referred to a large neurology institute. I got a call from them saying that a couple doctors had reviewed my records and unfortunately they were unable to meet my needs. It is impossible to get through their phone system to speak to the person who called so I have not idea what made them turn me down.

I have not made any requests or demands from these additional doctors. Does anyone have any idea of why I am being turned down and what I should do next? I am having a lot of worsening symptoms and still don't know what the cause of my overall neuropathy is. I did find out through my naturopath that I have elevated lead in my system but have not yet had a chance to mention that to my PCP and it was not in the records these other neurologists looked at. Thank you. I am stymied.
gnnmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote